Friday, October 1, 2010

Scotty's Fish and Chips





Google "Best Fish and Chips Detroit" , one name covers the first page, Scotty's Fish and Chips. I've known the name since I was a little boy. My great grandfather, Bill Waters immigrated from Great Britain right after WWII and after a few years opened a restaurant called Fins and Feathers in Detroit. My grandfather and Scotty were good friends and it was said they shared the recipe for fish and chips. Though the name has always been familar to me, I've never been. That changed recently when Miss D and I set off for Fenkell and Lahser to see for ourselves just how good it is.

If you're familar with that area, you'll know that's it's bad. I mean it's bad even for Detroit but when you've been doing business in the same location for over 6o years, you don't just up and move. Cruising down Fenkell you'll pass blocks of abandoned business' and the occaisonal open store before finding Scotty's standing out like the last guy in Custer's calvary. If you're worried about security, there's a guy there who watches the cars parked outside. I mean, his sight is probably good enough to see the cars but I doubt he could cross the street fast enough to prevent a team of Brightmoor thugs from stripping your car down to the frame.

Once inside it felt familar. More in the way that your soul recognizes good things from your past than an actual feeling I've been there before. Everything about the place told me I was experiencing history. The table and chairs were original, the paint, wall coverings and decorations all were once new 60 years ago. Now, they're the character of the place, it's skin on the soul of Scotty's Fish and Chips.

The waitress took my order (as if she had to ask) and before she left, I asked her how long she worked there and if she remembered my grandfather. Since 1970 and yes, she thought the name sounded familar.

A few minutes later the owner Harry came over with a huge smile and told stories of about my grandfather. According to Harry, my grandfather (Bill) only called him "Junior". He recalled the last few times he saw my grandfather and my grandmother, "now Bill was losing his sight and it was getting harder for Fern to tell him how to drive. That was around 1972". I remember that quite clearly. My grandmother would tell him "a little left or right" as he swerved in and out of his lane. Harry also remembered that Bill would come into the restaurant once a week and cut Scotty's hair and that he would hand paint all the restaurant's signs.

After a few minutes Harry retreated back to the kitchen and the waitress brought our food. Listen, I know I'm known for hyperbole, but let me assure you, what I was eating was without a doubt the best fish and chips I've ever eaten. The batter was crispy and tastey and not a bit greazy and somehow the fish gave way in my mouth and was almost creamy. Don't get the wrong impression, the fish was firm but creamy at the same time. Don't even get me started on the chips. Hand cut perfectly fried crispy chips. Yes, I know I'll die sooner because of that meal but let me assure you, it was worth it.

While still basking in the glory of what I've just eaten, Harry came back to the table with a board. As he turned it over it was clear the board was a hand painted Christmas sign, created by my Grandpa Bill in 1964! Harry insisted that I take it with me. I really felt it should stay with the restaurant but he was adamant. Because I knew my mother would treasure the sign, I reluctantly took it with me.

If you love old America, go to Scotty's. If you love great old dives, go to Scotty's. If you love finding that odd out of place joint, go to Scotty's. If love and I mean love GREAT fish and chips, go to SCOTTY'S!!!!!!!

I could've sat there for hours and listened to Harry talk but Miss D and I had a date to see the Godfather at the old Redford Theater and had to say our "goodbyes".

Driving past the rundown stores along the way, I reflected on the stories Harry told me that night. I reflected on the meal I just had and I realized that tonite I was reliving a part of old Detroit while I was digesting detroit, one bite and one drink at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment